2017年1月7日土曜日

I got a friend in Saigon



If you walk down Saigon's backpacker street Bui Vien, you'll see children are on duty every night. In basket on their small body, they mostly have Misanga, tissue, or Vietnamese fan (this is a little nice) and are showing them around. The slogan is simple, "buy something."


If they think that you are a gentle person, they will chase you around desperately to sell. While having dinner at a restaurant on the street I saw idly a little boy working hard. Our eyes met then and I was chased after by three small people as I left the restaurant.

But I did not need anything they have and I was on a journey in the limit of 7kg baggage that most LCC allows for free. I could not increase my stuff. But as trying to refuse softly, the little people are shrieking for fun more and more and weren't holding back any more.

I finally tried to cheat them by doing a high tall in order, but a smallest girl got attached more to me, she pinched me so hard after I refused again. And in smattering English, said "Buy  tomorrow!" She laughed and went away, I felt that smile was completely different from the smile for business when she first came for selling.

That's about 8 PM. After that, I went to a bar for beer, got back to the inn, and woke up late at night. Since I couldn't sleep, I went out for a walk to Bui Vien again. It was already 2 o'clock in the midnight, so I was surprised to see they were still selling around.


The little girl found me again, and started chasing after me again. Because it impressed me that she's doing her best, I gave in and decided to give a note of about 10 cents left in my pocket. She received it and shortly said "Thank you", and left with a long face.

I felt that face had nothing to do with the smallness of the amount I gave. She might have wanted to earn money by selling things instead of just being given. The thought made me a little annoyed.

After that, I drank beer at the bar again, sat at the front of the bar eating the ice cream I bought at convenience store, and saw the girl buying fruit at a stand. It's past midnight, 3 o'clock. She seemed to have finished her work finally as she did not have the basket any more. I wondered if that was her dinner. Working until this late, she may not go to school. No, she is still small, so she may stop working and go to school when she is at the age of elementary school...


While idly thinking about such things, she came up and sat next to me and began to eat the fruit she bought. Since some of the ice cream was left, I tried to gesture to ask her if she wants to eat it. She smiled and waved her hand like saying she doesn't need it. Instead of it, she shared me the fruit she was eating.


I think it's because I was drunk somewhat, I was about to be moved to tears. I thought I was happy. I also thought what she shared was completely different from the 10 cents I gave her. I could only offer her money, I felt I am such a boring person.

We talked a little in Vietnamese and English, which we did not understand mostly, but it was fun. That was the last night in Saigon, so I wanted to give some farewell gift, but did not have anything. I found a 10 cents bill in my pocket again, so this time I gave it in appreciation for the fruit. But as she accepted, she got a long face a little again. "I did not mean that," written on her face.

"This is not a handout." I wanted to say so, but I couldn't as I did not know Vietnamese much. I tried to remember Vietnamese words learned in old days, but nothing came up to the drunk head. I gave up and said goodbye in Japanese, and raised my back. She gave me a sweet smile.

Then while I was walking towards the inn, a Vietnamese word caught my drunk head. In a hurrying back, she was still there, smiled to me and waved as she says goodbye. I ran to her, and said "Cảm ơn." I don't know if she understood that I said thank you, but she laughed again and shook a lot of hands.

We may never see again. But If you see a little one on busy Bui Vien, who is selling small Misanga, tissue, nice folding fan and smiles a lot, she's my friend. If you like the goods, "buy something."


Related link:
サイゴンで友だちができました。(the original post in Japanese)
You do not need anyone's permission to be happy


スポンサーリンク


スポンサーリンク


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿